3 Reasons Why I Am Thankful For My Dog (Secrets You Never Knew)

Rachael Ray Nutrish has sponsored this post, but all opinions are my own.

One of my favorite holidays is right around the corner, Thanksgiving. It is a favorite of mine for a number of reasons, yes, the food is decadent and scrumptious,  but I love Thanksgiving for another huge reason as well, it enables me to stop, take a deep breath from the trials and pressures of life in my daily world, as well as the world around us, and take stock of what I am thankful for. This is something I should be doing every day, but like many others, I do not do it enough.

Some of the things I am thankful for are my husband, my family, friends,  a roof over our heads, food on our table and the pets by my side.

This year in particular I am especially thankful for Dakota. This self-professed “cat person” and this incredibly sensitive and loving dog have become obsessed with each other. I am sure this didn’t happen overnight, Dakota is now ten years old, it has been ten years in the making.

Dakota is the first dog I have had as an adult. When I was a child we had a dog, but I had never had one on my own until Dakota.  When Dakota first joined our family, I was clueless. I had cats for approximately 20 years and knew nothing about caring for a dog. Dakota not only helped me learn about dogs in general, but with his unconditional love and devotion, he enabled ME to learn about HIM.

1. Dakota Expanded My Horizons: Having been immersed in the world of cats for so many years, I am thankful that having Dakota enabled me to meet some of the most knowledgeable dog bloggers in the world. Some of them I have been blessed to meet in person, others I am close to via email and their blogs. Many have become like family to me and they have enriched my life more than they could know.

2. Dakota enabled me to be a Brand Ambassador for a Company that I am honored to represent: I am thankful that Dakota enabled  me to take my years of loving all things Rachael Ray, (long before I ever had a blog), to an entirely different level. When I first bought Nutrish  in 2008, Dakota didn’t have a blog, (his blog began in 2011, a thank you to Yvonne DiVita at BlogPaws who strongly suggested that Dakota have his own blog, even if I was kicking and screaming that I did not want Dakota to have a blog, because I already had a cat blog, and how would I ever manage TWO blogs?)

I never dreamed that Dakota’s blog  would lead he  and I to be Brand Ambassadors for Rachael Ray Nutrish. It is an honor that I cherish and I am  proud to have been a part of for nearly 5 years. I am thankful  for this relationship on so many levels. It is a complete delight to work with the people I am involved with at Nutrish,  and it delights me because Dakota truly eats Nutrish (and has since 2008).  Authenticity is important to me, and it is a HUGE component of our blog. I am also grateful to be an Ambassador for Rachael Ray Nutrish because Rachael as a person, and the brand as a whole,  truly cares about animals and gives back.

Rachael Ray created:Rachael’s Rescue® which came about to care for all of the forgotten pets – the ones who might not have someone who loves them as much as they deserve. A portion of proceeds from each sale of Nutrish is donated to The Rachael Ray Foundation, which helps animals in need through Rachael’s Rescue. Through September 2017, Rachael’s Rescue has donated more than $21 million dollars to pet charities and other organizations that do good for animals. The funds are used for food,medical supplies, treatments, and more for animals in need. Many more animals around the country need help, and through Rachael’s Rescue, together we can make a difference in the lives of many four-legged friends.

3. Dakota has taught me to be a “little” more patient: I am thankful that Dakota taught me that yes, “patience IS a virtue.” I am NOT known for being patient. Living with and loving Dakota has taught me that things aren’t necessarily going to happen when I want them to. Housebreaking a dog,  teaching commands, learning how to interact with each other, it all takes TIME and PATIENCE.  There are many “how to train a dog” books that have been written, I have read a ton of them, but an important point that must be taken into consideration is, what is “tried and true” for some, might not be “tried and true” for all. Each dog, just like each human who lives with a dog is an individual.  What motivates one, may not motivate another.

I try to make sure I remember that Dakota isn’t a “cookie-cutter” dog. Taking the time to learn about MY dog and only MY dog is one of many lessons that Dakota has taught me that I am thankful for.  While Dakota appreciates that I have become more patient there is still one thing he wishes that HE could be thankful for…….what is it? That when it comes to taking photos, that I would just disappear!

There you have it, those were my 3 Reasons Why I Am Thankful For My Dog  (yes I have a TON more but you have better things to do than to read about a ZILLION reasons why I am thankful for my dog).

Now it’s YOUR turn, what are YOU thankful for? What has your dog taught you? Has your dog “Made the switch to Nutrish?” Leave us a comment below and tell us, we would LOVE to hear!

About Rachael Ray Nutrish: In 2007, with help from pet nutrition experts, Rachael Ray created Nutrish super-premium food and treats for dogs inspired by recipes from her own kitchen. In 2014, we were very excited to grow the brand into the world of cat food. Whether intended for dogs or cats, Nutrish recipes are made with simple, wholesome ingredients like real meat or fish, and do not contain poultry by-product meal or fillers.

Comments

Thank goodness you learned to love a dog! My mom was a cat lady her entire life. As a kid, she didn’t even like dogs. In her late 20’s the tables turned and she became a dog person. We still have the two kitties and she says she will always have a cat or two, but dogs are the main focus. Funny how things can change over time. You are lucky to have a wonderful mommy and home, Dakota.
    Emma recently posted…The Rowdies Have Arrived! Meet Our Fun New Friends Jefferson And Lincoln!My Profile

wait, wait, wait! I ADORED my dog when I was a little girl, she was a Boxer, I just ADORED HER. I love dogs and cats but have always been partial to cats. It is so hard to believe that as a kid you didn’t like dogs! OMG!! So hard to imagine! You are one of the best dog Mamas on the planet! You are beyond knowledgeable as well and I always learn so much reading your blog!

2. Aw, such a sweet post! As a dog lover and owner with a certificate (from Animal Behavior College) in both dog obedience training and vet assisting, I have to agree that each dog – and her/his human – is an individual with different motivators and “quirks”. Ducky and Shadow are total opposites in some ways and very similar in others. And I’m thankful to have both of them – as well as to have had Callie and Kissy – in my life for so many reasons, not the least of which is their unconditional love.
    Shadow and Ducky’s Mom recently posted…I Love Our Vet!My Profile

Thank you!!!! You are so knowledgeable I wish I had one iota of your knowledge!

3. You couldn’t have made a better start than a Sheltie.. DH grew up in an animal free home and Bailey was his first every animal let alone dog. Now we have the two girls and I’m not sure we’d like to know what life would be like without them.

They make us better people.
    Sheltie Times recently posted…Wordless Wednesday: Every so Often I let her Capture OneMy Profile

I agree with you a zillion percent! So good to see you!

4. I’m almost the opposite, in that I’ve always had dogs and not cats. But regardless of species, our pets give us way more than we can ever give them. And I am very thankful for that as well.

It is amazing to me that dogs can enrich our lives in so many ways we could never foresee! I was a cat only person for years too, and had no idea about dogs. My hubby talked me into getting one and I can truly say my life has never been the same!
    I think one thing I am grateful for with dogs (all the dogs I’ve had), that is truly different than cats, is that dogs get you out more. Whether it’s walking, taking them places, learning things, or the activities they lead to, they get us moving and doing more in life.
    Jan K recently posted…Fading Flower Friday – Last Colors of FallMy Profile

6. Sandee says:

I’m glad you finally had a wonderful dog as an adult. Their love is so different than a cats love. So very different.

Have a woof woof day, Dakota. My best to your wonderful mom. ♥♥♥
    Sandee recently posted…Feline FridayMy Profile

Actually my Angel Bobo was very similar to Dakota with love……..my Angel Bobo was beyond attached to me…he was everywhere I went……..he was equally as loving, Cody is extremely affectionate too, he just shows his in a different way 🙂

7. We have no clue how to care for and live with a kitty seeing as mom has always been a dog person. We saw an interview with Rachael Ray and Michael Kay on a NY Yankees network not long ago and it was fantastic!
    Molly the AireGirl recently posted…Tug TimeMy Profile

8. Paula says:

If Dakota could roll his eyes those pictures would be his evidence. He is very cute and patient. Mom cooks from scratch for us. If Rachel Ray creates a base mix that you can use to stir in your protein mom would be interested! Lots of vegetables please a little bit of fruit please. Roscoe Monty and Henry

Will be sure to pass that suggestion on and lol about Dakota!

9. Many many years ago our mom had cats – being a single mom, cats were easier with two small children to care for. Then she was a labrador person until she got her first pug and that was all she wrote. After 20 years it was actually Angel Greta that taught mom a whole lot about being a better dog person.
    hugs
    Hazel & Mabel
    Idaho PugRanch recently posted…My Birthday Fun!My Profile

10. I have so much to be thankful for this year and every year. Bentley and Pierre are members of my family and I am blessed with an awesome family. I’m so glad Dakota has his own blog. He makes me happy!
    M. K. Clinton recently posted…Everything You Need for a Pawsome Puppy Party from AmazonMy Profile

11. Those are some pawesome things to be thankful fur!! Mama too was dragged kicking & screaming into bloggings by Auntie Trice (who has since bailed on us BOL MOL) And I nose what Dakota means about da Flashy Beast it are da bane of my existence 😉 We hope ya’ll has the most pawtastic Fanksgiving efur 🙂

xoxo,
    Matt & Matilda

12. Dogs are truly our best friends (not saying cats aren’t though!) Yes I’m very thankful for Toby, especially for how he enjoys being with us no matter what we are doing. Watching TV? Time for a nap beside Dad’s chair. Going to the store? Time for a car ride! Going hiking? Sure glad I don’t need boots and jackets like you guys. Reading a book? Well, look at that sun puddle next to Mom’s chair.
    Amy and Toby recently posted…Celebrating The Red ApeMy Profile

13. Squeals…that sweet Dakota face. Love it and you! Happy Thanksgiving, friend. 😍
    Monika & Sam recently posted…TGIFMy Profile

14. What a wonderful post!!! So cool that you guys are brand ambassadors for Rachel Ray’s pet food products!!! Dakota you have THE CUTEST face!
    Mia the Pibble recently posted…Friday Forest Fun with Friends!My Profile

15. Dakota, you have the most wonderful Mom (and of course Dad…); in the world! Love grows day by day and deepens as you get to know each other over the years. That applies to people too!

Lovely pictures, even if you do not care for those sessions, BOL!