Remembering Sugar the Golden Retriever with “Golden” Love

I was heartbroken when I saw on Instagram this  morning at about 1:30am, that one of the most beloved and long time blogging dogs, Sugar the Golden Retriever had left for the Bridge.

My heart shattered. Sugar and her Mom are two of the bloggers who I have known since I first began blogging in 2009. Sugar was a blogging icon.

Her smiling face graced her blog, Instagram, Twitter, everywhere and you could never look at her without smiling yourself.

I remember when I FINALLY met Sugar and her Mom, (and her Dad too!), it was a few years ago now, and I believe it was at Bark World. Sugar was just as sweet (maybe even more so) than those who haven’t met her would imagine her to be. Her Mom, Rosalyn, as well as her Dad, Ron are as well.

Look at her sweet face…it was the highlight of the conference for me, FINALLY meeting Sugar in person

Sugar was deeply loved by her family and all who visited her blog. She was given a most beautiful, loving caring, active and interesting life. A life that ANY dog would be lucky to live. Sugar was blessed to live such a life, and her Mom and Dad were blessed to have such an incredible dog. I am certain the loving care, (and probably a great gene pool!),  enabled her to live longer than most dogs could ever hope to live.

Sugar’s Mom took this photo of my shoes and Sugar’s shoes because we both had purple shoes on!!!

Some of my most favorite memories  of Sugar on her blog, were way before she became as well-known as she was when she passed. It was when Sugar’s family moved to Hawaii for a period of time. There were photos of Sugar on the beach romping and playing, jumping into frothy waves that crashed by the shore, sunsets, walks, it was a beautiful “golden” time. Those are my favorite memories of Sugar. It was just Sugar, no embellishing, just Sugar living a most “golden” life. Sugar loving nature. Loving her family. Loving the tasty treats her Mom would make for her with such great care. It was just Sugar and her Mom, nothing else, all surrounded by the beauty of Hawaii. Sugar was the epitome of the “Aloha Spirit.” Those posts exuded so much love and you could see just how happy Sugar was being in Hawaii, (who wouldn’t be??)

To Sugar’s Mom and Dad,  thank you so much for sharing your special girl with all of us. There is a huge hole in our hearts that will remain empty without sweet Sugar.

Her smile lit up the hearts of all who encountered her, either in person or on the blog.

Sugar was not only a Golden Retriever by breed, but she was GOLDEN in her heart, soul and presence.
We pray for strength for Sugar’s family during this most difficult time. We send you gentle (((hugs))), “golden” love and we are here if you need us. Love from all of us and our most heartfelt sympathy.

May Sugar romp eternally in the sunshine and waves, flashing her “golden” smile to all at the Bridge. May she be surrounded  by loving energy for all eternity. I have no doubt she will.

Mahalo to Sugar’s Mom for sharing her life with us, and to Sugar we say “Aloha”, until we meet again.

Caren, Dakota and Cody

Comments

1. What a beautiful post in remembrance of Sugar. I remember when she lived in Hawaii that’s when I first started reading her blog and you are right, I fell in love with the photos and the way she enjoyed life there. Little did I know that Sugar’s home was really in the north suburbs of Chicago and that her and her mom would begin to have outings when they moved back with Sugar and Dolly. Dolly loved Sugar and I know if Dolly ever gets a chance to see Roslyn again she will wonder where her Sugar is.
    Dolly the Doxie recently posted…Learning your Dog has Chronic Bronchitis — Part IMy Profile

2. Sugar was one of a kind and lived a golden life. She will always be remembered with a smile. We should all live a life like her. ♥
    M. K. Clinton recently posted…The Luck o’ the #ChewyInfluencerMy Profile

3. My heart aches to hear this news, but this is such a beautiful post. 😢

4. Losing a pet is as difficult as losing a child their paws are tattooed on our souls

5. So sad 🙁 Your post for her was beautiful, Caren. I remember when she lived in Hawaii. She always had such a blast at the beach. So glad I finally got to meet her last year.

6. Emmy Scammahorn says:

What a beautiful tribute to Sugar. We are all graced to have met her.

7. Liking this post seems completely wrong but did so as it was a touching tribute from you. Posts from sweet Sugar were such a welcome visitor to my inbox. She will be sorely missed. And Israel’s version of ‘Over the Rainbow’ couldn’t have been more apropos. His golden voice mirrors the essence of Sugar, the Golden Girl. Our hearts go out to Sugar’s pawrents with hope that all the tender thoughts of sweet moments of this precious pet provide them some comfort. Aloha, sweet Sugar 🌈
    Monika & Sam recently posted…Happy St. Patrick’s DayMy Profile

8. Sugar WAS a beauty – on the outside and more importantly on the inside to her very core. Soft woos and gentle hugs to her family from us.

Woos – Lightning and Misty

I am going to miss her smile, and seeing all the fun places she would visit. I don’t think I started reading her blog until after Hawaii. I wish I had gotten a chance to meet her. 🙁
    Jan K recently posted…“Thirsty?” #PetPhotographyChallengeMy Profile

10. Murphy says:

Sugar was a big part of our community and will be missed for a very long time!

Your Pals,

Murphy & Stanley

11. What a wonderful tribute! We remember when she was in Hawaii too….she will forever live in our hearts.
    Dory’s Backyard recently posted…Flower Friday – The St. Patrick’s Day Edition!My Profile

12. Such a beautiful heartfelt tribute to an amazing pup. We never got to meet Sugar but we can tell she was a very special girl. Sending prayers and healing thoughts to her family.

13. Sand Spring Chesapeakes says:

A beautiful tribute to Sugar and her family. She was one special girl that will be missed. My sympathies to Rosalyn and Ron.

14. Beautiful tribute to Sugar.
    Ellen Pilch recently posted…Friendly Fill-Ins Week 45My Profile

We are so sad for Sugar’s family. She was such a sweet girl!
    Emma recently posted…Thirsty – Pet Photography Challenge Week 11My Profile

16. such a lovely post for Sugar. we are all going to miss her
    hugs
    Mr Bailey, Hazel & Mabel
    Idaho PugRanch recently posted…Finding a Pot of Gold!My Profile

17. I hate losing a pet. It’s the only lasting bad part of pet ownership. Sugar is playing at the rainbow bridge.
    Mary Tan recently posted…FARLEY ATE A HAIR TIE AND MOMMY GOT A BILLMy Profile

18. Astro says:

Our hearts are broken
    There are no words to express the sadness.

RIP Sweet Sugar.
    Astro recently posted…Happy Saint Patricks DayMy Profile

19. She was a special pup.
    Kinley Westie recently posted…Happy St. Patrick’s Day!My Profile

20. such heartbreaking news. i miss her golden smile already 🙁
    bailey unleashed recently posted…éirinn go bráchMy Profile

21. What a beautiful tribute to a beautiful soul! Sugar was a sweetheart to everyone and we are going to miss her smiles. RIP Sugar!

22. I have no words… she was a part of our life…. and now we miss this part… that hurts…

23. So sorry to hear this. Sugar was a star and then some.

Have a woof woof day, Dakota. My best to your wonderful mom. ♥♥♥
    Comedy Plus recently posted…Feline FridayMy Profile

24. Our hearts are hurting as well. She was so special and beautiful! Saying lots of prayers for her family.

xoxo,
    Bell Fur Zoo
    Bell Fur Zoo recently posted…Wordless WednesdayMy Profile

25. I feel as you do, Caren. My favorite memories of Sugar are very much in line with yours. This is a beautiful tribute to a Golden soul. I will miss seeing Sugar’s blog, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram posts. She always brought a smile to my face, even on days when things weren’t going right. Perhaps I should say especially when things weren’t going right.

26. Absolutely a beautiful tribute to Sugar and her family. It’s sad when we lose our beloved furchildren. The whole it leaves in our hearts and lives can never be filled. I hope Rosalyn and her family can find some comfort in knowing Sugar is running free as a puppy at Rainbow Bridge.

God bless.
    Bren Pace | Pibbles & Me recently posted…When You Adopt, You Never Know What’s In Store for YouMy Profile

27. We are sending our most heartfelt thoughts and prayers to Sugar’s family. The Rainbow Bridge has gained a beautiful soul.
    The Menagerie Mom recently posted…Lazy Sunday SelfiesMy Profile

28. Rachel says:

What a beautiful dog and beautiful tribute.

29. Sugar was one of our first blog friends. We were very lucky to meet Sugar and Rosalyn at an event when they still lived in the Chicago area. Pip was still alive and well and somewhere I have a picture of the two of them together. Hoping I can find it and post it.

30. What a lovely and sweet tribute to your good furend. Its so hard when we have to say those kind of goodbyes. Those we love and cherish in life we treasure and keep close in the depths of our hearts forever. And nothing can take that away.
    Hugs, Caren. Licks, Dakota!
    ((((( ♥ )))))
    Pipo/Minko/MrJackFreckles recently posted…Our Selfies On Sunday From St Patrick’s DayMy Profile

31. This is such a beautiful tribute to Sugar and her family. The purple shoes picture made me smile and I can’t help but cry when listening to Somewhere Over the Rainbow.
    Sarcastic Dog recently posted…A day in the life of a senior dog: Honoring SugarMy Profile

32. What a beautiful post for a beautiful Golden soul! She was one of our first blogging friends many years ago…So glad her family shared her with the world!

33. This was such a beautiful post for a tribute to Sugar. I know she will be missed by so many people.
    Love Carma Poodale.