New Animal Rescue Site: 911fosterpets.com Launched by Petfinder Founder

New website will help the most urgent pets

in animal shelters find temporary homes

Throughout our years of blogging it has been our pleasure to share news/information from Petfinder.com and we are grateful for all of the animals they have helped find  forever homes. We have family members who have adopted pets from Petfinder! Now we are proud to share some news that we received from the founder of Petfinder.com, Betsy Saul,   announcing the launch of her newest mission-driven website, 911fosterpets.com.

The mission of 911fosterpets.com is simple:

create a foster revolution

to give these pets the extra time

they need so they can live

Click to visit the website

Click to visit the website

“While we have found over 25 million forever homes for adoptable pets at petfinder.com,” Saul says, “pets’ lives are still being lost daily purely due to lack of space or unrealistic time limits on length of stay at a shelter.  I am still haunted by some of the special souls I met along the way that just needed extra time to find homes.  Our new website, 911fosterpets.com, will be dedicated to finding short-term foster families for these urgent animals.”

911 for pets Chico Brunswick GA

Chico Brunswick GA

Eric Theis, who, with his wife, Traci, is a co-founder of the site, says, “People don’t realize that many pets about to be destroyed only need a temporary place to crash–sometimes less than a week.  Then these pets will be moved to a rescue group or to their new forever homes. I have to believe if people knew they could save a puppy or kitten’s life by letting it stay with them for a few days, they would act now to save them. We are providing that platform.”

Hank

Hank

The site is easy to use. Animal shelters post pets that are urgent (typically meaning they will be destroyed in 72 hours or less) and potential foster families view them.  Foster families can search the urgent pets in their community with various search criteria, including length of time they can foster a pet–starting with less than one week.  Once a foster family sees a pet they would like to help, they simply click the foster button to be connected with the shelter where the pet is currently housed. Individuals can also sign up at http://911fosterpets.com/join.html to be notified when new urgent pets in their community are posted.

mobile al family dogs

mobile al family dogs

“This will only work,” Traci Theis adds, “if caring people step up and provide short-term shelter for these urgent pets. We’re confident that there are thousands of people who want to make a tangible difference in pets’ lives but cannot make a long-term commitment. Now they will have an opportunity. 911fosterpets.com will introduce them to the pets who so urgently need them.”

moreno valley ca dog

To learn more visit

www.911fosterpets.com

Comments

1. Wow! What a furtastic idea!

2. How awesome. We have a group in our small town calls Claws and Paws a group of families who foster the pawbaby till they find a forever home. I wanted to volunteer but my husband said no because I would want to adopt all of them LOL. Bless them for doing this

Sounds like a great new system!
    Emma recently posted…My Nose Work WeekendMy Profile

4. This is beyond awesome. I am so glad that this organization has come into existence, and that you shared this information with us. Thank you!
    The Menagerie Mom recently posted…Thimble Thursday: Enough is EnoughMy Profile

5. Shelley P says:

This is fantastic!! I know there are many smaller groups doing this alone (pulling urgent pets and needing fosters) and aren’t as visible so having a system/place that brings them all together for anyone to help is so wonderful. I love it!!

6. Bailey says:

Great idea. People who can’t commit long term, may be able to help short term.
    Bailey recently posted…Wordless Wednesday: Return of the BunnyMy Profile

Good idea, but no dog within 100 miles yet.
    Kismet recently posted…It was Professor Plum in the library with a knife. SQUAAAAAAAAAWK!My Profile

8. I love this idea. Our local AC posts their urgent dogs on their Facebook page and it just breaks my heart. I think I could handle short term foster, but at present it’s not feasible for me with my two and everything that is going on with them.

Thanks SO much for sharing this with us.

9. What a pawtastic idea! Hopefully it’ll make all the difference in the world to these pups.
    Monika & Sam recently posted…Can Dogs Be Religious?My Profile

10. Oh, this is an amazing idea! I am going to go check it out!

11. Toby says:

What a wonderful idea! If our house wasn’t already overloaded with cats mom would volunteer!!

12. That is such a fantastic idea! We’ll tweet about it right now!
    meowmeowmans recently posted…(Almost) Wordless Wednesday – TinaMy Profile

13. This is such a great service and will hopefully, result in many dogs being saved. Thanks for sharing.
    M. K. Clinton recently posted…Juneau Alaska’s Official Greeter ~ Patsy AnnMy Profile

14. Elaine says:

Wonderful news that PetFinder has started this website. By making it easier for people to foster these pets, I have no doubt many lives will be saved. Thanks for sharing this!
    Elaine recently posted…What’s Your Pet’s Pet Peeves?My Profile

15. That sounds like a great program.
    Ellen Pilch recently posted…YAY for Grammie!My Profile

16. What a great idea, I hope it is successful and many are saved. Hugs

17. Thanks for sharing, I hope they all can find homes.
    Sand Spring Chesapeakes recently posted…Nothing But Norman #140My Profile

18. That sounds like a really great idea to save pets. Hopefully that will cut way back on the pets being euthanized:)
    tylersat99 recently posted…Black and White Sunday – RestingMy Profile