#PurebredDogs Deserve Love Too:National Purebred Dog Day

AKC APPLAUDS COLORADO AS FIRST STATE TO CELEBRATE

NATIONAL PUREBRED DOG DAY

I Love Purebred Dogs png

From http://www.akc.org/news/

“On March 10, the Colorado House and Senate passed Joint Resolution 15-1015, making Colorado the first state to officially designate May 1 as National Purebred Dog Day.”

“Susi Szeremy of Colorado, and creator of the National Purebred Dog Day movement, was in Capitol chambers when the resolution passed. “I developed the concept of National Purebred Dog Day when I realized that there was no single day devoted to celebrating these amazing breeds.”

” Szeremy is looking forward to National Purebred Dog Day as a way to increase awareness through social media of the value and importance of our purebred dogs.  Far from being a one-time event, Szeremy and the AKC GR team hope to make this an annual national celebration of responsible breeders and the value of all our wonderful purebred dogs. “We applaud Susi’s leadership on the Purebred Dog Day Initiative. This special day reminds us of our special bond with these purpose-bred dogs with predictable characteristics, and it’s an inspiration for all dog lovers, said Dennis Sprung, AKC President and CEO.  “We’re looking forward to a bright future for Purebred Dog Days throughout our country and a renewed spirit of recognition and pride of purebred dogs.”

FROM DAKOTA’S DEN: the above are segments of the original post.

Dakota Purebred Shetland Sheepdog

Comments

1. I could not agree more!

Woofs,
    Tommy, the purebred English Springer Spaniel
    The Poupounette Gang recently posted…Tokyo ThursdayMy Profile

Thanks so much and thanks for visiting us! Hoping you have a wonderful day!!! Yay for Tommy the “Purebred English Springer Spaniel” Mom’s sister-in-law has TWO of them and they are the most loving and adorable dogs!! Mom is crazy about them! Barks and licks and love, Dakota

This is great! I know that responsible breeders have done lots of work in some breeds with known health problems to improve the situation. One example I know of is that Newfoundland breeders have kept records of the hip scores of their dogs and bred the ones with good scores to diminish the known problem.
    It seems that all pure bred dog breeders are given a bad name because of the minority that are more interested in winning shows than whether their puppies are healthy.
    Clowie recently posted…Spotlight on Blanche aka The PrincessMy Profile

My sisters and I are all purebreds and from reputable breeders. We don’t appreciate people who get on our case for being purebreds. There is a place in the world for all types of dogs. Mom has had a shelter dog as well and she was wonderful, but right now purebreds fit her lifestyle better. Mom was actually afraid of what people would say when when we got Bailie, but it is our choice and there is nothing wrong with it. Good post, Dakota.
    Emma recently posted…Look Who’s Tracking NowMy Profile

Emma, my Mom and I LOVED that you said “there is a place in the world for all types of dogs” You are sooo right! Mom feels the same. She has written so many posts where she has apologized for having a purebred dog and she is tired of being made to feel that she is awful for having one! Barks and licks and love, Dakota
      Dakota recently posted…#PurebredDogs Deserve Love Too:National Purebred Dog DayMy Profile

4. I so agree, all dogs deserve love and hugs and kisses … and treats!!! Responsible breeders are important… otherwise we all had a wolfie on the leash … The main thing is to love your dog and to be there in good&bad times…
    easy rider recently posted…easyblog FREAKY FRIDAYMy Profile

5. Jen says:

Happy NPDD Caren and Dakota! I love seeing so many people showing their pride of purebred dogs! It is nothing to be ashamed of! I’ve always admired the Sheltie and Dakota is such a great example of the breed!
    Jen recently posted…Meet The Newfoundland. 20 Fun Facts About The Newfie #purebreddogsMy Profile

6. WOW! I did not know this was today! Shoot!!!!! Thank you for this, and well done!
    ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!
    Jenna,Mark “HuskyCrazed” Drady recently posted…10 Things NOT To Say To A Dog MomMy Profile

7. Great post! There are many purebred dogs that are also rescued and in great need. We have rescued 2 purebreds. People should take pride in their love of a breed and many breeders are working toward improving the overall health of purebred dogs. That can only help all dogs.
    Wonderful article!

We are purebreds, happy day!

9. Both mine are purebreds! 🙂

sumskersandearlskers13.blogspot.com
    Earl Lover recently posted…Pinch Punch Post May 2015My Profile

10. Happy National Purebred Dog Day Dakota. I believe all types of dogs purebred or not are wonderful. We fully support responsible breeders who work and love to maintain a bred of dog. Many rescues are also purebred dogs too!

11. That’s the great part about pups, they all deserve our love!

We totally agree….great post! If I’d realized this day was today, I would have shared our two purebred girls as well. No one should be made to feel guilty for giving any dog, purebred or mutt, a home. We all have our reasons for the choices we make and they are all valid.
    Jan K recently posted…#52Snapshots of Life “Below”My Profile

13. Amen to your statement Dakota, well said! I’m glad there are purebreds I love them all
    Sand Spring Chesapeakes recently posted…Technical Blind And A BirthdayMy Profile

14. Thank you! Happy National Purebred Dog Day Dakota! ♥
    M. K. Clinton recently posted…Chewy on the BayouMy Profile

15. ATCAD says:

Do you have a crush on Lady O’Meara? We thinks she is a cutie pie too. Or was it the goats you especially liked?

The guy that breed Lady O’Meara’s parents, , said he didn’t want the collie breed to die out. They are very hard to find in Mississippi. So he started breeding her parents and giving their litters away. So Grandma got the Collie she always wanted.
    ATCAD recently posted…Family FridayMy Profile

16. I too am a purebreed, though not registered…..my doggy cousin is also a purebred…(monster),,,he’s a Cairn.
    Growlmy had ‘muttskies’ when she was living at home…all are/were great dogs to be around and love.

17. Totally agree with you. I’m a pure bred but Mika isn’t, both of us get a fair share of love and care from mom and dad although I think I get a LITTLE more love from dad. 🙂 All dogs need good care, love, hugs and kisses as we are all God’s creatures and we need responsible breeders.
    Eva or sometimes Priscilla recently posted…My garden!My Profile

yes, love for all dogs (and their people)

I hate when certain “rescue people” look down on others who got their dogs in a different way, They shouldnt judge others before they know the numerous reasons why people may have chosen a different route.

I’ve had rescues (including my purebred Misty) and also purchased dogs from breeders. I loved them all and gave them the best home I could. Thats really all that matters.

19. While we are rescued, Lady supports the responsible breeding and adoption of such dogs. Both are responsible choices . It is only “backyard breeders” and horrible puppy mills we have a problem with.

Happy purebred day! From 2 mutts!
    Hailey and Zaphod recently posted…Wildlife Encounters ContinueMy Profile

20. Monika says:

Woof! My state senator was a co-sponsor of that resolution, yay! She’s doing great work at the capital and hopefully other states will follow suit. 🙂
    Monika recently posted…Happy May DayMy Profile

21. So well said, Dakota and Caren! Purebred dogs serve as a living legacy of our global collective history.
    Joan DeMartin/Bocci recently posted…This Dog Plans A Triple Treat Heist!My Profile

22. LP says:

We couldn’t agree more! Some people have such a hardcore attitude about adopting rescue animals and how “bad” it is to adopt purebred animals that it seems as though they are saying there’s no room for anyone else! Purebred animals exist (and some have for hundreds of years) and are part of the animal world and they deserve love and homes too! There is room for all types of animals in the world; the most important message is that humans take continued responsibility for all dependant life they choose to bring into their homes!

the critters in the cottage xo

23. Great post, Dakota! We were blessed to both come from a very responsible, loving breeder. She is our first mom for life.
    Cammie!
    The Army of Four recently posted…Serene Scenery SundayMy Profile

24. Bailey says:

We are sorry we missed the day. As we have written about many times, there is no need to crusade against pure bred dogs while working against the inhumane treatment of puppy mills. The two are not the same and shouldn’t be confused. There are MANY reasons for wanting and having purebred dogs. As long as one approaches the process with respect for how the dogs come into the world, there is no reason for shaming and guilt from those who choose mixed breeds rescues. All dogs deserve love and care.
    Bailey recently posted…Monday Mischief: Paws in the ParkMy Profile