AARP and Michigan Humane Society Partnering To Help Find More Loving Homes For Homeless Animals

FROM DAKOTA’S DEN: I cannot begin to tell you how EXCITED I am to share this with you today! When I first heard about this amazing program, I told my friends at Michigan Humane that I just HAD to share! We all know about how pets benefit EVERYONE,  but the impact they make on Seniors in particular is incredible.

AARP members to receive discounted adoption fees at all MHS locations

AARP FIRST ADOPTION!!! PATRICIA AND NINE YEAR OLD SNOOPY!!!

AARP FIRST ADOPTION!!! PATRICIA AND NINE YEAR OLD SNOOPY!!!

The Michigan Humane Society (MHS) and AARP are launching a new partnership to provide more people and pets with the endless benefits of companionship, while helping animals in need of loving homes! Adopters who present their AARP membership card at the time of adoption will receive significant discounts on the adoption fee of qualifying animals: $100 for dogs and $10 for cats.

“We are excited to begin this program with a great organization like AARP,” said CJ Bentley, Senior Director of Operation for MHS. “This partnership will enable us to bring together people and pets who will benefit greatly from the joy of companionship while helping more homeless animals.”

Qualifying animals include:

•             Dogs and Cats two years or older

•             Dogs 40+ pounds, regardless of age

•             Dogs and cats who need a little extra TLC

The discount for AARP members applies at all MHS locations and events. Members may utilize the discount for family members. However, the member must be present at time of the adoption.

To view animals currently awaiting adoption and for a list of MHS locations, visit www.michiganhumane.org.

michigan-humane-logo

The Michigan Humane Society is the largest and oldest animal welfare organization in the state. MHS works to end companion animal homelessness, provide the highest quality service and compassion to the animals entrusted to our care, and to be a leader in promoting humane values.

Comments

1. Great post.

Lots of Woofs from Earl and I at Earl’s World!
    Earl Lover recently posted…Monday Mischief – Blowing RaspberriesMy Profile

2. What a wonderful program! Hope other shelters and rescues catch on to this one. It would help so many people and get those special pets the for ever homes they deserve! Thanks for sharing this one.

3. Amy says:

That’s pretty cool! Maybe it will spread to other states.
    Amy recently posted…Blogger’s Block? Science Has A Cure (Your Dog Will Love It)My Profile

4. Every living being needs love, no matter how young or how old.
    McGuffy Ann Morris recently posted…The TulipsMy Profile

5. They should cut the adoption fee more for senior dogs going to seniors. I bet that would help place a lot of them. Nice discount for the kitties. 🙂
    2 brown dawgs recently posted…Showers And PuddlesMy Profile

6. Sue says:

Fantastic news! Sharing.
    Sue recently posted…Adopt Antoinette a Pit Bull Terrier at Stray Rescue | Tuesdays TailsMy Profile

7. What a fantastic program! I hope it helps a lot of humans and pets come together.

Bunny
    houndstooth recently posted…Only Natural Pet For Healthy Pet Living #PawNaturalMy Profile

8. Oh, how we wish we could have something like that over here.
    Eva or sometimes Priscilla recently posted…Laura’s BirthdayMy Profile

9. I hope for a lot of good matches like Patricia and Snoopy. Good luck to all pups and kitties!
    easy rider recently posted…easyblog MISCHIEF MOANDAYMy Profile

10. Bailey says:

There are so many beni’s for older adults having pets. I think this is a great idea.
    Bailey recently posted…Protecting the AsparagusMy Profile

11. Oh that’s great!!! Maybe some other places will follow suit? Hope so!
    Good for them!
    ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!
    Jenna,Mark “HuskyCrazed” Drady recently posted…OMD! MondaysMy Profile

12. What a great promotion! I makes me almost forgive AARP for all of the dang cards they continually send me! BOL!!
    M. K. Clinton recently posted…Cell Phones vs. DogsMy Profile

13. sara, oreo & chewy says:

Thats a great idea!

14. I think that is absolutely wonderful – love it. Thanks for sharing
    Cathy C. Bennett recently posted…KURGO ZIPPY BOWL AT THE RESTON PET FIESTAMy Profile

15. That is one wonderful promotion! MHS sure comes up with some good ones, don’t they? Thank you for sharing this good news, Caren and Dakota!
    meowmeowmans recently posted…Happy Cinco de Mayo! 🙂My Profile

16. great news for aarp members but hopefully they can extend the discount to all seniors.
    judy @ bailey unleashed recently posted…cinco de mayo 2014My Profile

I love that idea!
    Emma recently posted…Fiesta to Siesta | GBGV | Monday MischiefMy Profile

What a wonderful program! I hope the AARP might be doing this in more places as well.
    Jan K recently posted…Black & White Sunday RiddleMy Profile

19. LOVE this! And I love that MHS keeps doing more and more to help more animals find homes!
    Amelia Hughes recently posted…Love Can Move {Catnip} MountainsMy Profile

20. That is great news, hope more pets get homes because of it.
    Dip and Elliot x
    Dip and Elliot recently posted…Mona, Prissy and Weenie Mini-Me’sMy Profile

21. Oh, what a great way to find loving forever homes, we hope all of them go home with their forever families very soon. Hugs and nose kisses

Anything that means more animals are going to loving homes is great!
    Clowie recently posted…Why barking at night can be a good thingMy Profile

23. Jodi says:

someone told me their rescue had a ‘seniors for seniors’ program (for the life of me, I couldn’t tell you who.) BUT it would pair senior animals with senior folks and I believe there might have even been some kind of financial support to help. I think it’s brilliant personally.

And I’ve said it many times, but I love your Humane Society, they are so great about finding new ways to showcase their animals and get them adopted.
    Jodi recently posted…West Virginia Backwoods Hood-ratMy Profile