Today’s post is by Steve Pelletier, Founder and CEO of Slimdoggy.com. Steve is “owned” by SlimDoggy Jack and Maggie. Jack and Maggie are two rescue Labrador Retrievers who love to eat, exercise, and, when possible, sneak into the avocado patch for unfettered snacking . Steve is here today to explain a new initiative, called PetsMove, which is meant to help pet owners address the weight and obesity problem in this country and the world.
We started Slimdoggy after we were able to make a major impact on our rescue dog Jack, who was 105 lbs and on Prozac and Rimydal, and in a shelter for over a year when we adopted him. Now he is about 80 lbs. and medication free. Slimdoggy.com provides information on canine food and fitness so that people can keep their dogs fit and healthy. We have also created an iPhone App that lets dog owners track their pet’s activities and feedings and shows the pet owner how much they should be feeding their dog to keep them at a healthy weight.
We have recently partnered up with Dr. Katy Nelson, vet and host of The Pet Show television program in Washington DC on the ABC affiliate, and DogTread, to launch a new website called Petsmove.
Like the First Lady, Michelle Obama’s childhood obesity awareness program “Let’s Move”, our “PetsMove” initiative aims to wake up pet owners, get them up off their sofa and get on the MOVE with their pets! We want both the pet owner and their pet to get & stay active, fit and healthy.
- We know that approximately 60% of pets and their humans have a weight problem in this country. We estimate that it costs dog owners near $8 billion each year in extra food, medicine, and medical costs because their dog is overweight. This is a HUGE problem and one that can be so easily reduced with a little knowledge and elbow grease.
- PetsMove’s goal is to raise awareness of the pet obesity problem while providing education, information and most importantly, incentive to our program participants on keeping their pets fit and healthy.
What is PetsMove.org?
PetsMove is an ongoing virtual event to encourage people to get active with their pet. Participants will be able to:
- Visit the PetsMove.org website to learn about the program and how they can participate.
- Track their pet’s fitness progress using the tools on the website and collect “paws” based on their dog’s activity levels. “Paws” collected will be used for prizes and giveaways.
- Learn how to create fitness programs for themselves and their pets, how to choose the right food for their pets, and receive pet health tips from our team of experts.
- Win prizes each month based on your pet’s activities.
- Become a part of the PetsMove Community and share your stories and triumphs with other members.
Why did we create PetsMove.org?
More than half of all dogs in the US are overweight or obese and there is evidence of the same trend outside the US, as well. This is a costly problem monetarily, causing added expense in extra food and medical care. Even more importantly, it’s costly in terms of a pet’s longevity; obesity shortens their overall lifespan and quality of life. Many pet owners simply don’t know how much to feed or how much to exercise their pet to keep them healthy and fit.
PetsMove.org’s main goal is to help people better understand exactly what is required to keep their pets healthy & fit.
Why should pet owners join PetsMove.org?
Three reasons: time, money and prizes.
- Goal number one is to give pet owners more TIME with their pets – a lean dog will live on average 2 years longer than an overweight dog. Pet owners can use the information learned at PetsMove to get or keep their pet fit and hopefully extend their lifespan. Who doesn’t want more time with their beloved dog?
- Goal number two is to save the pet owner MONEY – overweight dogs cost the owner hundreds if not thousands of dollars each year in extra food, medical care & prescription medication.
- Goal number three is to have fun! There will be numerous fun, healthy & useful prizes given away each month to active PetsMove members. Plus, eligible members could be selected to appear on The Pet Show with Dr. Katy Nelson, on ABC News Channel 8 in Washington DC with their fit and healthy dog.
How do pets benefit from PetsMove.org?
Keeping pets fit and trim is the single most important thing that a pet parent can do to extend their pet’s life and improve their quality of life. And to a pet, spending time with their human is the single most important thing a pet parent can do every day. So PetsMove is encouraging pet owners to get up, get out and be active with their pets!
Who is behind PetsMove.org?
PetsMove.org was started by a group of people who truly care about pet health and are committed to helping to eliminate the pet obesity problem. The founding Board consists of:
- Steve Pelletier, CEO SlimDoggy.com, whose App helps dog owners track their pets feeding, activity levels, and weight and Editor of SlimDoggy.com a website chock full of practical articles on canine food and fitness.
- Dr. Katy Nelson, practicing veterinarian, radio personality, writer, animal health reporter and host of The Pet Show on Washington DC’s ABC affiliate.
- Krista Wickens, CEO of PetZen Products, creator of DogTread Canine Fitness equipment and the soon to be released virtual canine personal trainer Canine Gym.
We are accepting video submissions on petsmove.org in order to find a “featured pets mover” who, along with their dog, we will spotlight in the upcoming months. Winners will receive a personalized fitness program and feeding analysis and will have the chance to be on The Pet Show with Dr. Katy. Go to petsmove.org for details: http://petsmove.org/video-submission-for-a-chance-to-get-on-tv