Meet The Fire Safety Dogs and Firefighter Dayna Hilton! National Pet Fire Safety Day July 15th–#BtC4A

Blog the Change

Hi all! It’s Dakota and I am sorry I am late posting, but I was waiting for my special guests to arrive. You see, today is National Pet Fire Safety Day and we are helping our furiends at Be The Change For Animals blog the change about Fire Safety. We are honored to have  special guests  who have been on my blog before.

fire safety dogs

Learning about fire safety can be fun  when you learn it with the  Fire Safety Dogs! Tango, Siren and Molly are not only members of their local fire department, but mascots for the  Keep Kids Fire Safe Foundation. They love helping keep children and their caregiver’s fire safe!

With educationally sound programming, the Fire Safety Dogs have reached millions of children and their caregivers and have helped reduce fire related deaths and injuries for almost ten years. With nine “saves” (helping save the lives of seven children and 2 adults in actual fire related situations), the dogs have quite the experience under their collars.

PROGRAMS BY THE FIRE SAFETY DOGS

fire safety book

SPARKLES’ SAFETY SPOT

The Sparkles’ Safety Spot program helps children learn basic fire safety knowledge and skills with the goals of saving lives, limiting injuries, and reducing fire losses. Firefighter Dayna and her team of Fire Safety Dogs share fun, yet educationally sound, ways to stay safe, live on the web.

Friday mornings at 9 AM CST at firesafetydogs.com.

SPARKLES’ FIRE SAFETY SKYPE TOUR

This free, interactive Skype activity teaches children important fire safety lessons and is open to schools, organizations and library programs across the country and throughout the world.

fire safety skype

The 30-minute program is designed to teach basic fire safety skills and features the Fire Safety Dogs, sing-a-longs, the reading of a fire safety book and the opportunity for children to become Junior firefighters. Participating schools and organizations receive a free, downloadable copy of the Fire Safety Dogs’  Skype Tour Coloring e-Book and bonus materials

FIRE SAFETY DOGS’ FIRE SAFETY TIPS

1.      How often should you hold a family fire drill?

Families should practice their home fire drills at least two times each year. That activity will help remind family members what to do in an actual fire-related situation. It is also important for families to practice their fire drills when special guests stay in their home as well.

fire safety escape map

2.      How should you go about it? Is there a step-by-step plan?

To develop a home escape plan, follow these easy steps:

1. Set aside some time for family members to prepare a home escape map.
  2. Construct a map of the home illustrating all doors and windows.
  3. Ask family members to identify at least two ways out of each room in the home.

Post the escape map on the refrigerator door or other public area

1. for all to view.
  2. Ensure all windows and doors open easily.
  3. Practice the home fire drill at least twice a year and when special guests stay in the home.

It is important to create, review, and practice the family fire drill for each level of the home at least twice a year. That way, family members will know how to quickly get out of their home in case of fire. A quick exit is critical since a small flame can turn into a major fire within as little as 30 seconds, and it can completely engulf the entire house within three minutes.

Practicing the home escape plan is especially important when members of the home have a disability, are elderly, and are small children. The plan should be practiced during the day and at night.

1.                  How often should you change the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms?

Experts recommend that batteries be tested at least once a month and be changed once a year.

According to the United States Fire Administration, several studies have concluded that when working smoke alarms are present, the chance of dying from the fire can be reduced by 50%.

The challenge is that not all homes have smoke alarms. It is estimated that some 12% of all homes in the United States do not have smoke alarms. Another problem is that almost one-third of all homes with smoke alarms in the United States do not work; one contributing factor is dead batteries in smoke alarms.  Another concern is that numerous homes do not have enough smoke alarms to properly alert family members and guests in the home.

2.How many alarms are needed?

Smoke alarms should be located on each floor level of the home and outside each sleeping area. However, to avoid alarms from becoming activated from cooking fumes and car exhausts, smoke alarms should not be placed in kitchens and garages. In addition, do not place alarms in unheated areas, such as crawl spaces and attics, where it can get too hot or cold for the devices.

3.How can you make sure that they’re working?

Care and maintenance begins with reading the care instructions that come with the smoke alarms.

Smoke alarms have a “test” button that can be pushed to test the alarm. Should the alarm not work after being tested, replace it immediately.

Should the smoke alarms be out of reach for testing, there are different options for smoke alarms. One smoke alarm has a test feature which can be activated by a flashlight being shone upon it while another brand has a test that is automated, activating at the same day and time each week. If unable to do the proper testing, these smoke alarms can help an individual test the device where proper testing might not be able to be done.

In those smoke alarms that have batteries, change the batteries once a year and occasionally vacuum the smoke alarm to remove dust and/or cobwebs. Smoke alarms should be replaced every 10 years.

2.               How do you make sure that your fire extinguishers are in working order?

[The U. S. Fire Administration has a webpage with some GREAT info on fire extinguishers. The page provides some great maintenance tips as well as tips on when to use a fire extinguisher:

Personally, I cannot recommend the use of fire extinguishers and would prefer that people get out and stay out and leave extinguishing the fire to the firefighter professionals.

3.               Why is all of this important? How many house fires happen each year? How many end in fatalities?

According to the National Fire Protection Association, fire departments responded to 370,000 home fires in 2011. In that year, fires caused 13,910 civilian injuries, 2,520 civilian deaths, and $6.9 billion in damage.

The leading cause of house fires and home fire injuries is cooking. The second leading cause is faulty heating equipment. A leading cause of home fire deaths is smoking.

Finally, on average, seven people die each day in the United States due to home fires.

Do you know that Molly, one of the Fire Safety dogs has her OWN FACEBOOK PAGE!

She sure does!!!!!

Click on her photo to LIKE IT!!!

fire safety molly

About Dayna Hilton

As a second generation volunteer firefighter, Dayna Hilton joined the fire service in August 2000 and is founder and Executive Director of the Keep Kids Fire Safe Foundation.

Hilton is the author of the critically acclaimed award-winning children’s book, Sparkles the Fire Safety Dog. The book has been credited with helping save the lives of 7 children and two adults.

Recognized as one of the leading fire safety educators in the country, Hilton and her Fire Safety Dogs have reached almost a quarter of a billion children and their caregivers with the fire safety message for almost a decade. Whether it be traveling across the US, Skyping with school children from across the world or live-streaming their safety show weekly on the web, Hilton and her canine companions are dedicated to helping save the lives of children and reducing fire-related injuries.

To learn more safety tips, to Skype with the Fire Safety Dogs or to learn more about the Fire Safety Dogs’ programming, visit http://www.firesafetydogs.com

Source: 1-4 United States Fire Administration

5   National Fire Protection Association

Mom and I are sending out a HUGE THANK YOU and MANY BARKS AND LICKS AND LOVE, to THE FIRE SAFETY DOGS and Dayna Hilton for the honor of agreeing to be our most special guests today! Thanks for all that you do for so many of us! Barks and licks and love, Dakota

Comments

1. Colleen says:

I’ll have to show hubby this!

2. Thank you for participating in Blog the Change Day and for sharing the word about National Pet Fire Safety Day. I had the opportunity to meet Sparkles at BlogPaws several years ago!
    Vicki Cook recently posted…National Pet Fire Safety DayMy Profile

Hi Vicki! You are welcome! We met Sparkles at BlogPaws when you did (3 yrs ago now!) and that is where we first learned about her! Barks and licks and love, Dakota

3. Excellent post and advice – thank you so much for sharing this with us.
    Reilly & Denny recently posted…Musing on Monday #28My Profile

4. Brian says:

They are such cool pals Dakota and such an impawtant message!
    Brian recently posted…Comment on Mancat Monday: More Monsooning with The Jersey Boys by da tabbies o trout towneMy Profile

How cute are those fire safety dogs!!!! Cute and smart, what a combo.

Important tips, because you just never can be too careful.

6. Thanks Dakota and Mom for this super post. Maybe you saved my life. As my staff read about the batteries for the smoke alarm, they noticed that they never changed or checked this… But now we have new batteries and I think I can sleep well tonight. THANKS!!!!!
    easy rider recently posted…easyblog La Fête Nationale – BASTILLE DAYMy Profile

7. Jodi says:

What a great program. When we were in school (billions of years ago) our mantra was “Stop drop and roll” I’m sure most of us would remember that today, it’s good to teach children basic fire safety.
    Jodi recently posted…In CT it’s Against the LawMy Profile

8. emma says:

Nice post! I did not know about this day until today…maybe next year! I am not getting your posts even though I signed up per email the other day. I am going to see if I get a notification later today, if not, I will try resubscribing and see if it works. Very strange, but some blogs never email me posts until a day or two after the post goes live which I don’t understand.
    emma recently posted…Full House | GBGV | Mischief MondayMy Profile

9. Great post Dakota…the Fire Safety Dogs have such great information to share and they do it in such a fun way
    GizmoGeodog recently posted…Monday Mischief–You Stole My Nip & Bones Platypus!My Profile

10. Great information! Thank you so much for sharing! Didn’t realize today was National Pet Fire Safety day.
    Sand Spring Chesapeakes recently posted…Monday Mischief ~Gman & The RugMy Profile

11. Long time no see…..we seemed to have lost some posts but we now have you on our blog dashboard so all should be OK. Thanks for pointing it out. Have a marvellous Monday.
    Best wishes Molly
    Molly The Wally recently posted…Slog It Blog It, Teacher Knows Best?My Profile

12. Finn says:

Excellent advice!! A very informative post!

13. bev green says:

What a great post Dakota! we take fire safety seriously here..we have a very comprehensive bush fire safety plan for all of us including the sheep! when we approach summer here we will put up a bloggie about bushfire safety and your pets!! it is so important to keep every famiy member safe…’Have a great day Dakota!
    Hugs Fozziemum and gang xx

Hi Fozziemum and gang and thank you! Oh I know where you are it is super impawtant to have a fire safety plan in action!! I LOVE that you look out for the sheep as well! You know, since I am a HERDING dog, I LOVE SHEEP! I will look forward to YOUR summer when I can read YOUR post! Barks and licks and much love, Dakota

14. Thanks for sharing this. Fire safety is very important! lee and phod
    Hailey and Zaphod’s Lady recently posted…Mischief Monday – A lot of mischief last week!My Profile

15. Such awesome work they do spreading such an important message!

And how cool do they all look with those firefighter helmets on?! :)

Was to all

Your pal Snoopy :)
    snoopy@snoopysdogblog recently posted…Monday Mischief – Who’s training who?My Profile

16. Great post! Sharing.
    Sue at Talking Dogs recently posted…Adopt Sally, a Senior Australian Cattle Dog | Tuesday TailsMy Profile

17. Three members of my family died in a house fire 3 years ago, and at the time we came up with a fire safety plan for our family. We have never revisited it, though. After reading this post, I am committed to doing it.I will have my husband and kids read the post as well.
    Thanks so much for this important post!
    Coralee and Finn recently posted…Toby Tuesday: Happy Birthday!My Profile

18. emma says:

Hey Dakota, I did get this post this morning, so everything is cool. Several blogs send out later, but I know I am getting the notices and that is what matters most :)
    emma recently posted…Best Elk Antlers Review | GBGV | Tasty TuesdayMy Profile

19. Novroz says:

Cool post and great tips, Caren :)
    Novroz recently posted…The Smell of MilkMy Profile

20. Kuruk says:

Wonderful advice Dakota! Wooooowooooooos tooyooooowoooooowooo! Ku
    Kuruk recently posted…3,000 Miles…My Profile

21. Hmmm. You’ve just made me realize we don’t have a fire extinguisher. We had one mounted on a cabinet in the garage at our old house, but since we moved (2+ years ago now!) we haven’t had one. I should get on that! Thanks!
    Jackie Bouchard recently posted…Blog the Change for Animals: Well Done, San Diego!My Profile

This is a great post, we all need to be reminded about fire safety. It’s too easy to get complacent about things like this. Love the fire safety dogs!
    Jan K recently posted…Blog the Change for Animals – A Call To ArmsMy Profile

Fire safety is very important. We have a sign that says we are inside
    Benny & Lily

24. Excellent information, Dakota. Thank you!. My human daddy is in charge of changing the smoke detector batteries (and he does a very good job; treats for him!), but you helped my human mommy remember that she needs to check our fire extinguishers. Good job!
    Miss Harper Lee recently posted…Under the InfluenceMy Profile

25. Sounds like a great program!
    2 brown dawgs recently posted…Trying To Feel CoolerMy Profile

26. What a great program and the fire safety dogs are pawesome!
    Dogs N Pawz recently posted…Tuesday’s Tails #12: Beautiful Lab Mix Looking For Forever HomeMy Profile

This is great information!
    Clowie recently posted…My favourite indoor gamesMy Profile

28. I love these dogs! Teaching the children to stop, drop and roll., so smart.

Dana Baca